Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 20/365- Job 7:20-21

If I have sinned, what have I done to you,
O watcher of all humanity?
Why make me your target?
Am I a burden to you?
Why not just forgive my sin
and take away my guilt?
For soon I will lie down in the dust and die.
When you look for me, I will be gone." (Job 7:20, 21 NLT)

Why do bad things happen to good people? It's an often asked question. It seems like a pretty good question at first. Why would God allow bad things happen to people that don't do bad things? It's often asked, rarely answered.

The answer is allusive for sure but it's not because of its mystery. It's not because it's impossible to know the mind of God. It's not unanswerable because of its difficulty. It's not able to be answered because it's the wrong question. It's a flawed question. The fact is, there are no good people.

None (Romans 3:10).

The Bible is clear that even our best efforts are filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6).

A better question to ask would be, "How can good things happen to bad people?"

One question is man-centered, one is God-centered.

Bad things happen because of sin. When sin entered the world, brokenness entered with it. Sickness, divorce, disaster, & difficulty all have their root in sin & the consequences of it. So we are left with the brokenness of this world. And though we may never know the answer to why, we can always know the answer to who!

Thank God for his grace that allows good things to happen to bad people. The best of all being his grace toward us in Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment